If you like your casseroles zesty, then you’re in luck. This Enchilada Pasta Bake is full of zesty flavor but also hearty, cheesy, and incredibly creamy. (Which is to say it tastes pretty amazing.) It’s a Tex Mex concoction that’s highly requested around here and since it’s easy and delicious we’re always happy to oblige.
The creaminess here comes from sour cream, nacho cheese, and a can of good ol’ cream of chicken soup. Also some cheese. (We didn’t say this was winning any prizes for healthfulness, okay?) Say what you will about cream of ‘whatever’ soups, but we’re totally fine with using them as a shortcut every once in a while. They’re a thickener that adds creaminess and flavor to casseroles in quick fashion and it fits right in with this particular saucy combo. Green chiles and fire-roasted tomatoes add some charred sweetness and just enough of a kick.
Tender spaghetti noodles and meaty chicken are blanketed in that creamy and zesty sauce, topped with a good dose of cheese and baked up into bubbly, melty perfection. We find that a little garnish of green onion and black olive is the perfect topping. It gives a bright contrast to the comforting casserole beneath.
This reheats really well as leftovers (if it isn’t devoured before then) and it’s a great use of leftovers if you happen to have any cooked spaghetti or chicken hanging out in the fridge. It’s just the kind of crowd-pleasing bake we love, and it’s the one we turn to when we want a little extra kick in our casserole dish.
Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake
1 hour to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 (16 oz.) package spaghetti
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 oz) can fiesta nacho cheese
- 1 (15 oz.) can rotel fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup black olives, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, grated, divided
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- green onion, finely chopped, garnish
- cilantro, garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken soup, nacho cheese, sour cream, chicken broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, green chiles, olives and 1 cup of the Mexican cheese, and stir until well-combined.
- Add drained pasta and cooked chicken into nacho cheese mixture, toss together to combine, then transfer to greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining Mexican cheese blend over baking dish, then place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly, and dish is heated through. Top with green onions and olives, serve, and enjoy!