Looking for a healthy and nutritious chicken dinner? Well, I’m afraid you’re going to have to keep on looking because that’s not what we’ve got cooking up here. No, this is more along the lines of creamy, cheesy, comfort food that’s pretty indulgent and totally unapologetic about it, but that’s something we all need sometimes. With just five ingredients and a few minutes of effort, this easy bake gives you what’s akin to a hug in a casserole dish… a very creamy, very delicious hug.
This bake pairs shredded chicken (leftover rotisserie, anyone?) and a tube of crescent rolls with a savory and creamy sauce that’s very little work for the cook. You just unroll the crescent dough and dot each triangle with a bit of the chicken and the sauce before rolling each one up and putting them in a baking dish.
The sauce? Well that’s just a matter of stirring together some milk, cream of chicken soup, and cheddar cheese. No stovetop work, no roux, just three ingredients and a wonderful salty, cheesy, savory flavor.
There’s just a teaspoon of the sauce inside each crescent roll to keep things moist but not too saucy, but it also goes over and around all the rolls, so they puff up in the sauce and end up with golden brown tops and doughy, savory bottoms.
Imagine a chicken hand pie with the delightful soft doughiness of a crescent roll. And then imagine it with a creamy cheddar sauce that goes along with every bite. Well, that’s something everyone would love, right? That’s just what you get here, and you get it with a very short ingredient list and just a couple minutes of kitchen time!
Chicken Crescent Roll Ups
10m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (8 oz) can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together milk, soup, and cheese. Spread 1/3 cup of mixture in prepared baking dish.
- Unroll dough and separate into triangles. On the large part of the triangle, place some of the chicken and 1 teaspoon of the soup mixture. Roll up and place in baking dish.
- Once all rolls are in dish, pour remaining soup mixture over and around rolls.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Key Ingredient.