It’s no secret that chips and salsa have a forever place in our hearts. They’re timeless and delicious and there’s always a good time for them. That being said, why stick with a tomato or chile based salsa every time?? It’s a pretty simple concept to begin with, so why not tweak it and cater to the season or leftover ingredients you’ve got on hand? We skipped the tomatoes entirely in this recipe and instead went with…cherries!
Yep, get yourself some fresh or frozen ones, we used frozen, then grab some cilantro, green onion and jalapeño. What you get is a sweet, spicy, round-flavored salsa that you can spread over a big block of cream cheese and call it a day. It’ super easy, super tasty and super addictive!
Serves 6; 20 minutes
- 1 (12 oz.) package cherries, fresh or frozen, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cherries, cilantro, green onions, jalapeño and ginger.
- Pour white sugar and lime juice over ingredients in bowl and toss to combine, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place cream cheese on serving plate and use a spoon to make a slight indentation in the center, then pour 1/2 cranberry mixture on top.
- Serve with chips or crackers.
Recipe adapted from A Thrifty Mom