We’ve said it once, we’ve said it a thousand times, and we’ll certainly say it again: you can never have too many casserole recipes. And this one is definitely one that you need in your collection. See, it’s crispy, it’s cheesy, it’s creamy…. Basically, it’s totally delicious, and yet it still manages to pack a fairly hefty punch of nutrient-rich veggies. And you guys, the crispy topping! We won’t go so far as to call it a secret ingredient, but it’s a little bit of a surprise and it is GOOD.
Here’s the cast of characters. We’ve got carrots, onion, celery, bell pepper, and some tender yellow squash all folded into a creamy base of sour cream and condensed cream of celery and cream of chicken soups. The shining star of this dish though… is stuffing mix! It forms the bottom layer, and as it bakes, it softens up and provides a cozy, comforting base for the creaminess above.
But it doesn’t end there. Next, there’s a layer of cheese. (Because it’s casserole. So of course.) And THEN, then, the remaining buttered stuffing mix gets sprinkled over the top of the entire dish, and you end up with this irresistibly crispy, herby layer to top the whole thing off. It’s very nearly magic.
We never really knew that stuffing mix should be a casserole mainstay, but hey, you learn something new every day. Like that stuffing mix is not just for stuffing. It’s good knowledge to have. And this dreamy casserole is a great recipe to have in your back pocket. It’s an unforgettable combination of comforting flavors, making for a casserole that easy to make and so easy to love.
Cheesy Squash Casserole
Serves 8; 45 minutes
- 2 large, yellow squash
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of celery soup
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, minced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (8 oz.) package dried herb stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat and sauté squash, onion, celery, carrots and bell pepper until softened and translucent. 6-8 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dried herb stuffing mix with melted butter, then sprinkle 1/2 mixture on the bottom of greased baking dish.
- In a second, large bowl, stir together sour cream, chicken soup and celery soup until combined, then fold in sautéed vegetables. Season with thyme and rosemary.
- Pour veggie mixture on top of stuffing mix layer, then sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Cover with remaining buttered breadcrumbs.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Jam Hands.