Switch up your weeknight dinner routine with this yummy dish!
Chicken is one of those things that can get old really fast if you’re not coming up with new and exciting ways to make it. We all love a classic chicken piccata, but if that’s your go-to every week, it might lose some of its luster and be time for a little break. Luckily, we’ve got a great, easy dish that’s packed with flavor and never fails to deliver – cheesy baked mustard chicken!
Regardless of how you feel about mustard when it comes to your average ham and cheese sandwich, it takes the chicken to a whole new level that, when paired with that perfect, creamy cheese sauce, totally knocks our socks off! Check it out!
Cheesy Baked Mustard Chicken
Serves 4-6; 30min
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Season chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper and place in a large baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil, place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until smooth, paste-like, and golden in color.
- Remove pan from heat and gradually whisk in whole milk until smooth. Return to heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in cheeses, mustard and garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from oven and evenly pour sauce over the top.
- Return to oven and bake for another 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked all the way through, but still tender.
- Remove from oven, serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Good To Know