Looking for a fun alternative to the summer salads of yore? It doesn’t just have to be a replacement for classic warmer weather dishes, but we find ourselves turning to this instead of potato or pasta salad all the time, since it’s healthy, delicious and unique. Instead of your average BBQ side dish – think something along the lines of pasta, potatoes or cabbage – we’re using cauliflower as the base of this dish. Let us tell you: even if you’re a self-proclaimed cauliflower hater, stick with us and we promise you’ll be hooked too!
While it may sound like a weird combination at first, with cauliflower florets, peas, cashews and Swiss cheese, this mashup of ingredients is A+ and we can’t get enough…neither can anyone else! Along with the main ingredients, some Greek yogurt and sour cream add the bulk of the creaminess, which we then loaded up with ranch seasoning (perfect in any dish, if you ask us), dried dill and dried basil. These add an herby, earthy flavor that rounds out the dish and makes it extra yummy. You can add in any other fixings that sound good to you, but we love the balance this dish strikes and assure you can’t go wrong with it!
Cauliflower Cashew Salad
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely sliced, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 (1 oz.) package dry ranch seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt and sour cream, then season with ranch seasoning, dill, basil and salt and pepper.
- Toss together cauliflower florets, peas and cashews in a large serving bowl, then mix in Swiss cheese and green onions.
- Drizzle dressing on top of salad and toss together until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for at least 15-20 minutes, giving flavors a chance to build.
Recipe adapted from Little Dairy On The Prairie