Growing up there was nothing like a tasty dessert bar and these butterscotch Cheerio bars are so snackable. The crispy cereal pieces, stuck together with melted marshmallows and butterscotch chips, creates a wonderful treat that gets better with each bite. If you love the mix of sweet, sticky, and crunchy then this recipe is the one for you.
To begin making this recipe you’ll need to melt some butter, butterscotch chips, and Karo syrup in a saucepan together. Then remove from heat and stir in mini marshmallows and Cheerios. In a pinch you could cut up regular marshmallows if needed, but those little ones are cute that I usually keep them on hand just for recipes like this.
Like Rice Krispies Treats you’ll need to get them into the pan and leveled before they set, which happens pretty quickly. After that the only thing to do is to melt a bit of chocoloate and drizzle it on top before allowing the pan to set in the fridge.
Cut these bad boys into squares and you have a wonderful take on a classic no-bake cereal bar that is sure to be a hit with young and old alike.
Butterscotch Cheerio Bars
Makes 9-12 squares
1h 15m prep time
7m cook time
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups Cheerios cereal
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Grease and line a 9”x9” baking dish. Combine butterscotch, corn syrup, butter, and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Heat over low until everything is fully combined, stirring often. Do not overheat. Remove from heat.
- Quickly stir in cereal and marshmallows and pour into baking dish. Press mixture into corners, flattening the whole surface as you go.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave using 30-second intervals, stirring in between each time until melted. Do not overheat. Drizzle chocolate over cereal mixture using a fork, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Allow to come to room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Recipe adapted from Click Americana.