While these sweet little cookies have only a few ingredients and all in all are pretty simple, the flavor itself is anything but. They’re not just a basic butter cookie and they’re not just a basic sugar cookie, they’re a brown butter cookie that’s rolled in sugar… and that one simple step of browning the butter takes them to new heights. Seriously.
When you brown butter, it becomes nutty and toasted (and quite frankly, amazing) but it keeps all the qualities of butter that we all love so much. Basically, it’s butter that’s nuttier, richer, and even more flavorful, and it adds a wonderful flavor to anything you decide to pair it with. Like these cookies.
You start by melting the butter in a saucepan and letting it cook until it becomes brown and fragrant. You then stir in the sugar and vanilla and mix up a basic dough like you would with any cookie. (See? It’s easy.) You dredge each little ball of dough in white sugar before they go in the oven so they come out kissed with delicate sugar crystals.
The sugar gives a nice sweet crunch that gives way to a soft and pillowy cookie beneath. The butter flavor is rich and nutty. It’s really everything you could ask for from a cookie, and we think you absolutely must give them a try.
Brown Butter Cookies
Serves 36; 30 minutes active, 1 hour inactive
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Set a small saucepan over low to medium heat, and melt butter until browned, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar, and vanilla, and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Stir in the cooled sugar mixture until everything is well combined. Dough may be stiff and crumbly. Allow dough to rest for one hour so that the flour has a chance to absorb the butter (optional). If dough is still too crumbly, microwave handfuls of dough for 10 seconds.
- Place remaining sugar in a small bowl. Roll dough into one inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
Adapted from Munchkin Munchies.