From croissants to popovers, breakfast is dominated by pastries. That got us to wondering if we could combine pastries, and that’s when we got the idea for donut muffins! Yes, that’s right: lighter, cake-like muffins that are just begging for a glaze or sprinkles.
For our recipe, we used a basic, plain donut muffin, free of glazes. If you want to add a glaze to it, feel free to whip up the buttermilk glaze from our previous donut recipeand dip the tops of these muffins. Keep reading below for this delicious recipe…
Donut Muffins Recipe
(makes 24 muffins)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a muffin tin with paper or silicone muffin cups and grease the cups with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs and beat to combine. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.
- Alternate gradually stirring a little flour and milk into the butter mixture, making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan, filling the cups nearly full.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they’re a pale, golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool until you can handle them. Serve plain, or top with a glaze or simple cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Recipe adapted fromAll Recipes