Just three ingredients, but one isn’t what you’d expect!
I know we’ve all had the pleasure of walking into a party with a tiny slow cooker full of saucy little cocktail wienies, so it might seem like these are nothing new. But they are! (Or at least they are to me.) These use just three ingredients, but have a sweet and tangy barbecue flavor with a citrusy twist that I was not accustomed to but am now totally in love with. They’re familiar but fresh and we’ve got both stovetop and slow cooker instructions for you so you can whip them up however it works for you. (And good news – either way, it’s super easy.)
So what are those three ingredients? Well, the first is little smokies, of course, and two packages will work best with these ratios. The second is barbecue sauce, and you can choose whatever kind you like; I’m fond of Sweet Baby Rays for this – anything that’s tangy but sweet works well. Now, you might be thinking that the third is grape jelly since we’ve all seen that before but we’re actually using orange marmalade here, which still lends a sticky sweetness but backs it up with a tang that mimics the barbecue sauce’s balance.
All that’s left to do is heat everything through. Bring it to a bubble on the stovetop or let it hang out in a slow cooker for a few hours, but either way your work is done. They’re sticky, sweet, citrusy, and tangy and believe you me, they go fast, so steal a few for yourself before the party starts.
3-Ingredient BBQ Little Smokies
5m prep time
5m cook time
- 2 packages little smokies (smoked cocktail wienies)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- Orange zest, for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the sausages, orange marmalade, and barbecue sauce. Let simmer over medium heat until sauce is smooth and smokies are hot.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with orange zest, if using.
Slow Cooker instructions:
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, cover and cook on low until sauce is smooth and smokies are heated through, 3-4 hours. Turn to warm to keep for serving.
- Top with orange zest, if using, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Shaken Together Life.