Appetizer Recipe: Stuffed Baby Portobello Mushrooms
If you’re looking for an appetizer absolutely loaded with flavor, look no further than baby portobello (sometimes called portabella because of their smaller size) mushrooms! These savory treats are filled with a mixture of cheeses and vegetables and topped with bread crumbs to provide the perfect crusty texture.
The trick to making these mushrooms perfect is to not scrape out too much of the mushroom when scraping out the gills. Also be careful to not pierce the mushroom through, or else the cheese mixture will ooze through and make a mess. Also, don’t run the mushrooms under water when cleaning them or else the mushrooms will be water-logged. Instead, wipe off the outsides of the mushrooms with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or grit. Keep reading below for this fantastic appetizer recipe…
Stuffed Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 14oz baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/8 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt plus 1/2 teaspoon for topping
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper and 1/2 teaspoon for topping
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Wipe the outside of the mushrooms with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or grit. Pull out the stem of the mushrooms with a melon baller and remove the gills of the mushroom, being careful to not pierce the flesh. Place the mushrooms on a non-stick cooking pan, open side up.
- Combine the feta cheese, cream cheese, red peppers, yellow onions, fresh tomato, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, basil, and garlic into a bowl until evenly distributed. Spoon the mixture evenly between the mushrooms in the baking pan.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and panko. Sprinkle the mixture on each of the mushrooms.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly and the crumb mixture has become golden brown.
Recipe adapted formMy Baking AddictionSKM: below-content placeholder