Is there anything better than fresh banana bread? The smell just fills the whole house and somehow everyone makes their way to the kitchen whenever there’s a loaf in the oven. Served warm with fresh butter- there’s nothing like it. The addition of almonds, however, takes it to a whole new level!
You start with the familiar banana bread recipe, which uses mashed bananas to give the moist texture and yummy flavor we all know and love. This recipe also uses almond extract in the batter which adds a subtle almond flavor.
After everything is mixed together and the batter poured into 2 greased loaf pans, the next step is to sprinkle the topping on. This is made very simply from just sugar and sliced almonds, but what a difference it makes!
After baking and cooling, what you have is a crispy topping since the sliced almonds get ever-so-slightly toasted from the heat of the oven. This means they have a little extra snap which is a fabulous contrast to the soft and crumbly banana bread.
This almond banana bread makes a lovely snack, a great tea time accompaniment, or delightful breakfast bread. Sometimes I like to put plain cream cheese on mine for a more protein-rich start to the day.
If you love almonds then why not give your family (and yourself) a little treat with this easy and mouthwatering almond banana bread?
Almond Banana Bread
Serves 14-16; 20 minutes active, 45+ minutes inactive
- For the bread
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons each vanilla and almond extracts
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- For the topping
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 8 x 4 loaf pans.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add in milk, eggs, and flavoring extracts and combine well.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- To the batter gently add the mashed bananas. Do not overmix.
- Fill loaf pans equally with batter and then sprinkle sliced almonds and extra sugar on top of each loaf.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before removing loaves from pans and serving in slices.
Recipe adapted from Your Cup of Cake.