If you’re looking for the perfect summer dish that uses up all the yummy veggies you’ve got blooming in your garden, this is the one. Packed with zucchini, carrot and onion, along with chicken, noodles and cubed bread (for some surprisingly delicious contrast), this dish seriously hits the spot. It fills you up, but isn’t overly a heavy – which is great, because nothing is worse than being overly full on a hot, muggy evening. Regardless of what vegetables you end up putting in here, this recipe will make your day!
Zucchini Noodle Casserole
40 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 pound chicken tenders, diced
- 1/2 pound egg noodles or penne pasta, optional
- 8 slices whole grain/sourdough/brioche bread, cubed
- 3 zucchinis, grated and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups corn flakes or Ritz crackers or potato chips, crushed
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, optional
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Place zucchini in a large colander and sprinkle lightly with salt. Top with a clean dish towel and set in sink or in a large bowl (to catch excess water).
- Line bottom of baking dish with cubed bread, making sure dish is mostly covered. Top bread with diced chicken, noodles (if using), onion, carrot and garlic, and season with parsley, thyme and red pepper flakes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, then top with zucchini and cheddar cheese.
- In a large bowl, stir eggs, chicken broth, yogurt and white wine together until combined, then pour over mixture in baking dish.
- Using a wooden spoon or your (clean) hands, gently stir mixture until everything is moistened and coated with sauce.
- Spread cornflakes evenly over the top of casserole and drizzle melted butter over everything.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and place in oven. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 20-25, or until cornflakes are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest