Brisket is one of those meals that you taste and are immediately overwhelmed by how delicious it is! Brisket comes from the chest part of the cow and it's very muscular, since that's the part that supports of lot of the animal's weight; this means that you have to take care when preparing it so that the muscles in the meat don't seize up, resulting in tough meat. Low and slow is absolutely the way to go with this one, folks.
Since a lot of hard-core barbeque dishes take upwards of 12 hours to craft, and involve cedar planks and outside grills to get that famous smoky flavor, barbeque brisket doesn't necessarily seem like an easy dish to tackle. We've found a way, however, to utilize the trusty slow cooker to re-create the same delicious flavor and tenderness without all the hassle! If you've got a hankering for meat, try this recipe a day or two ahead of time and you'll be reaping the rewards all week, we promise!
BBQ Brisket Sandwiches
- 4 pounds beef brisket
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6-8 hamburger buns
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together BBQ ingredients: ketchup, brown sugar, water, vinegar, Worcestershire, adobo sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into the slow cooker.
- Heat a large sauté pan or heavy skillet over medium heat and pour in olive oil. Once hot, add onions and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions have caramelized.
- Remove brisket from packaging and pat it dry with paper towels. Then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a second large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sear both sides of brisket just until you get a nice, dark crust. Remove brisket and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cumin, chili powder, brown sugar and cayenne pepper and mix together well to create seasoning.
- Cut brisket in half widthwise and rub all over with brisket seasoning. Place both halves fat side up in the slow cooker.
- Carefully press minced garlic into meat and place caramelized onions on top and around brisket. Then pour in beef broth. Stir liquids around the meat.
- Cover and cook brisket on low for 8 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket from slow cooker and place on a clean cutting board. Slice meat into 1/4-inch thick pieces.
- Use a spoon to remove fat from top of cooking sauce and discard.
- Arrange sliced meat on hamburger buns and pour sauce over the top. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn