The holiday season offers plenty of occasions for baking up treats, but we find these sweet little dessert cups to be quite the delicious departure from the usual Christmas cookie. With layers of sweet dulce de leche, spiced gingersnap crumbs, cool whipped cream, and just enough velvety chocolate ganache to round things out, they’re the perfect individual dessert for your next holiday gathering. They’re full of spice and everything nice!
While all those layers may seem daunting, when you break it down none of them are really all that complicated at all. Dulce de leche is just made by heating up sweetened condensed milk, but you can also find a storebought variety if that makes your life easier. The chocolate ganache is made by simply stirring hot cream into some chopped chocolate until it has melted, and the whipped cream layer is just a touch of cinnamon whisked into some whipped topping. The gingersnap cookies are the most “difficult” part of this and even those mix up in one bowl!
A few easy steps give you a layered confection that really captures the spiced flavors of the season. It’s an adorable, yummy treat that everyone needs in their holiday treat rotation.
The Whipper Snapper
30 minutes to prepare serves 8
- For the dulce de leche:
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- For the ganache:
- 9 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- For the cinnamon whip:
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the cookies:
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the dulce de leche: Pour can of condensed milk into a microwave safe bowl, then cook on 50% power for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through. Reduce to 30% power and cook until thick and caramel in color, about 8-12 more minutes, whisking every couple of minutes. Set aside.
- For the ganache: Place chocolate in a small boil. Bring cream to a boil and pour over chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- For the cookies: In a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar with an electric mixer on medium until creamy. Add molasses and eggs and beat until smooth.
- Sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, and mix into the shortening/egg mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop the dough out onto lined cookie sheet in 2 tablespoon sized portions and flatten into an oval shape. Bake for 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
- While cookies bake, mix the cinnamon with the Cool Whip. Set aside.
- To assemble: spoon Dulce de Leche into a wide-mouthed mason jar, crumble half a cookie over the top, then layer on chocolate ganache, more crushed cookie, and then whipped cream. Garnish with a full cookie on top and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!