You might say jello salad had its heyday and is best left in the past. We say there’s no reason why we can’t try to modernize it a bit and bring it into the present! While this “salad” may seem like somewhat of an antiquity, we promise that crunchy pecans, sweet cherry flavor, and one of America’s favorite sodas will make you feel that this dessert is au courant.
The crunchy pecans sink to the bottom, almost forming a nut crust for this sweet treat. Sliced maraschino cherries provide chewy pops of extra sweetness and jello gives it that jiggle that only jello can. The flavor of the Dr. Pepper running throughout is really what makes this sing, and a creamy little dollop of whipped cream is just the thing to top it!
Cherry Jello Salad
15 minutes active, 4 hours inactive to prepare serves 6-8
- 2 boxes (3 oz each) strawberry jell-o
- 1 1/4 cup Dr. Pepper
- 1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries, sliced and undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- Grease a bundt pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine boiling water and jello and stir until dissolved. Slowly stir in Dr. Pepper (so it doesn't fizz), and set bowl to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After chilling, mix in cherries, pineapple, and pecans, and pour mixture into prepared bundt pan. Place bake in the fridge to chill until firm and fully set, at least 4 hours up to overnight.
- To remove from bundt pan, dip pan in slightly warm water to loosen sides. Flip onto serving plate and serve. Enjoy!