We have a slight obsession with hot dogs and bratwursts – we’ve always thought they were totally underrated, so, knowing that, it should come as no surprise that we love, love, love this dish; it’s an easy, upgraded version of your favorite baseball snack. What makes this recipe so great is the added flavor to the bratwursts and the ease with which it all comes together…which we achieve using one basic ingredient: beer!
One (or two) beers is all that’s needed to completely transform your run-of-the-mill brats, which you pour in the slow cooker, along with some bell peppers and onion. After a couple of hours, you’ve got juicy, flavorful brats, which you can top with some perfectly cooked veggies. Put it all in a bun, then drizzle with your favorite condiments and you’re set! Whether you’re having friends over to watch the big game, or just trying to elevate a weeknight dinner while still keeping things easy and breezy, it doesn’t get any better than this!
Slow Cooker Beer Brats
15 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive to prepare serves 4-6
- 1 package bratwursts
- 1-2 (12 oz.) cans beer
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 assorted bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced into pats
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- hot dog buns
- mustard, ketchup, relish, optional
- In a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat, brown brats on all sides.
- Place browned brats at the bottom of slow cooker, then top with garlic, bell peppers and onion. Top with butter slices, then season with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Pour beer over everything, then cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until veggies are softened.
- Remove brats from slow cooker and serve in hot dog buns, topped with vegetables and your choice of condiments.
Recipe adapted from Family Fresh Meals