Considering how much we love Mexican food, we thought it was time to give the classic lemon bar a south-of-the-border makeover. And boy did we outdo ourselves with these margarita bars! The lime flavor is a refreshing departure from the traditional lemon, and a touch of tequila gives them an authentic margarita taste (though it can be easily omitted, just add a bit more orange juice). We like to garnish ours with a little powdered sugar and a pinch of sea salt. However you decide to whip up these gems, they’re going to be absolutely delicious, and you certainly don’t need to wait until 5pm to enjoy them!
30 minutes active; 90 minutes inactive to prepare serves 12
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 10 crackers)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup lime juice (6 limes)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (2, if omitting tequila)
- 1-2 tablespoons tequila
- powdered sugar, garnish
- sea salt, garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a 9x9-inch baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lightly grease with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and graham cracker crumbs, then stir in melted butter and mix until graham crackers have the consistency of damp sand.
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of greased baking dish, making sure to evenly spread it out into the corners and edges of dish.
- Place in oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together eggs and sugar until lightened in color, then mix in lime juice, orange juice, tequila, and lime zest.
- Gradually mix in flour, stirring until no lumps remain.
- Pour filling over hot crust, then return to oven for 22-25 minutes, or until small bubbles appear on the surface of filling and it is no longer translucent.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Refrigerate 1-2 hours, or until chilled, then remove bars from baking dish, dust with powdered sugar and sea salt, and cut into squares.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Crazy For Crust