If what you’re looking for is a flavor-packed, Mexican-inspired dinner that will have everyone raving about it for weeks to come, then look no further, this is the recipe for you. Green chile chicken tortilla pie is a behemoth of a dish, so it’s perfect for when you’ve got friends over, or for those nights when you just want an awesomely delicious dinner that delivers every time. Essentially, this is a like a quesadilla-enchilada hybrid with layers or tortillas encasing crema-coated, salsa verde-covered chicken…and then all of that is smothered in cheese and more sauce. Does it get any better??
No, obviously it does not, because max greatness has been reached with this recipe. Once you’ve got all your layers assembled – and feel free to add even more tortillas if you really want this to be jam-packed – this bad boy gets put in the oven and bakes to cheesy perfection. You get bubbling hot layers of cheesy, spicy, creamy chicken, all stuffed in between layers of hot tortillas that have absorbed all the goodness of their surrounding ingredients. YUM. While you could add other ingredients like black beans or bell peppers, we really love the balance of flavors that we struck here with the original ingredients.
The chicken rounds everything out and keeps us full, the jalapeños and green chiles bring just the right amount of heat, without having it be too much, and then the creamy crema and tangy cheese cut some of the spice and take everything to the next level. Seriously, if you want a meal that gets everyone excited and comes together in well under an hour, you’ve gotta try this tortilla pie!
Chicken Tortilla Pie
40 minutes to prepare serves 8-10
- 3 large flour or corn tortillas, edges trimmed to fit round baking dish
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 (4 oz.) container diced green chiles, drained, optional
- 2 cups crema or sour cream
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled, optional, garnish
- cilantro, optional, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a springform pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir shredded chicken, chopped jalapeños and green chiles, if using, into crema, then season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, stirring until incorporated.
- Place one tortilla at the bottom of springform pan, then top with 1/2 chicken mixture.
- Pour 1/3 salsa verde on top of mixture, then sprinkle 1/3 cup monterey jack and 1/3 cup cheddar cheese on top. Top with second tortilla and repeat process, then top with final tortilla.
- Pour remaining 1/3 salsa verde and sprinkle remaining cheeses on top, then add cotija cheese crumbles, if using.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until mixture is warmed through and cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove from oven, then slice and serve topped with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Taste and Tell