You guys. This is the lemon tart you’ve been waiting for all your life. You’ll need 4 or 5 lemons for this recipe, so it’s definitely not short on that irresistible citrusy flavor. It’s as bright and tart as you could want, but the shiny, sugary glaze that tops it mellows the tang to the perfect level. We love lemon bars, we love lemon cheesecake, we love it all… but this scrumptious lemon tart takes it to the next level.
Now we know “mirrored glaze” sounds fancy, but don’t you dare skip this one because you’re afraid it will be too complicated. We promise it’s not! The shortbread crust is easy as can be. You just press the dough into the pan; you don’t even have to get out your rolling pin! You don’t have to get out your mixer either. The filling comes together easily in the blender and the glaze is just a matter of mixing some stuff up and letting it boil. See? You can do it!
That glaze… it’s as pretty as a picture, don’t you think? We think this is the perfect tart to serve for any special occasion. (And besides, no one else will know how easy it was to make). You can set the tart under the broiler for a few minutes to give it some color and caramelize the sugar a bit, but you can skip that step if you’d like. It will still be mighty delicious.
Glazed Lemon Tart
1 hour 30 minutes to prepare serves 8-10
- Shortbread Crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Lemon Filling:
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Mirrored Lemon Glaze:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Rind of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- For Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup butter, 2 cups flour, and 1/2 cup sugar until combined. Press evenly into an 11-inch round tart pan and pierce the dough with a fork a few times.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- For filling:
- In a blender, combine eggs, lemon juice, sugar, and lemon zest. Blend on high until smooth. Pour in butter, and blend again until smooth.
- Pour filling into tart crust and transfer to oven. Bake until center is set, about 30-35 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- For glaze:
- In a medium saucepan, mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup lemon juice, water, and lemon rind and bring to a boil.
- Let boil for 10 minutes, remove from the heat, and stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- Let cool until it becomes thick, and syrupy. Pour evenly over tart.
- If desired, place in oven under the broiler to caramelize the sugars in the glaze.
- Chill entire tart in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Adapted from Taste and Tell Blog.