We love dinners that really go above and beyond in terms of flavor and nutrients, so naturally we can’t get enough of this veggie-packed chicken casserole. Chicken is a great lean meat, and adding tomatoes, mushrooms and onion in a way that enhances all the flavors makes this dish well-rounded and an excellent choice for our weeknight dinners. Plus, we love having it the next day for lunch, too! While it does require some prep work, in terms of browning the chicken and starting the sauce, the finished result is so tender and has such a warm, full flavor, you’ll be glad you put in the time getting it started!
Tomato Chicken Casserole
- 3-3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (breasts and/or thighs)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- plum tomatoes, sliced, garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat and, in batches, cook chicken pieces until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add onions and mushrooms and sauté until translucent and fragrant. 5-7 minutes.
- Gradually stir in flour and mix until smooth and pasty.
- Mix in garlic salt and curry powder, then pour in tomatoes and chicken broth and let cook for 5-7 minutes, or until somewhat thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Return chicken pieces to skillet (or transfer everything to a separate casserole dish) and cover.
- Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Top chicken with sliced tomatoes and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from About