What Better Way To Get Your Protein And Nutrients Than With This Chicken Broccoli Bake?
It’s no secret that casseroles are our jam; you could put basically anything into a hot and bubbly casserole and we’d devour it! We went with something a little more standard for this meal, just a tasty and nutritional dinner that’s easy to make and seriously flavorful – just what we like to dig into after a long day.
We like to get fresh veggies into this bad boy, but we also cut corners a little by using cream of mushroom soup instead of making our own sauce…we love the subtle mushroom flavor and the instant, rich thickness it adds. Considering you’re only standing over the stove for 10 to 15 minutes, we’d say this dish delivers tenfold and we can’t get enough of it!
Chicken Broccoli And Red Pepper Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into cubes
- 2 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cubed bread
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and saute red pepper and broccoli until tender crisp. 8-10 minutes.
- Add onion and cook for another 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Season everything with salt and pepper and garlic powder.
- Combine chicken and veggies in a 9×13-inch baking dish and stir in mushroom soup.
- In a bowl, drizzle melted butter over bread cubes and toss to coat thoroughly. Spread bread out over the chicken mixture, then top evenly with cheddar cheese.
- Place baking dish in oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes for serving.
Recipe adapted from Country Crock