Side Dish Recipe: Garlic Green Beans with Red Peppers and Almonds
Vegetables are not everybody’s cup of tea, but these green beans are really yummy they make eating your greens a treat instead of a chore! We spruced these veggies up with fragrant garlic olive oil and sauteed red bell peppers and almonds. The olive oil flavor blends perfectly with these veggies, and the crunchy almonds give the dish some textural interest. Whether as an accompaniment to a weekly lunch of dinner, or an alternative side dish at a holiday celebration, these greens are packed with tang and zesty flavor, and your family will love them!
Green Beans With Red Peppers & Almonds
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup almonds, slivered
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and fill a large bowl with ice cubes. Set aside.
- Carefully drop green beans in boiling water and blanch for 60-90 seconds, or until beans are a very vibrant green.
- Remove beans from water and immediately soak in ice bath to prevent further cooking.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the garlic and lemon juice and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Don’t let garlic burn.
- Remove garlic and saute sliced red peppers for 8 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add green beans to saucepan and cook until heated through.
- Add slivered almonds, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until almonds are toasted.
- Transfer to plates and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from The Little Kitchen