The comfort of casserole meets the convenience of stir fry.
I’ve said time and time again that a casserole just isn’t a casserole without plenty of cheese, but this easy Asian-inspired bake has gone and proved me wrong for good. There’s no dairy to be found, yet it’s still as tasty and hearty and comforting as you could hope a casserole to be.
Though this casserole has tons of flavor, the ingredient list isn’t unwieldy at all. It also happens to be pretty low-fuss – while it does call for you to make your own teriyaki sauce, it’s just a matter of quickly simmering some soy sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, ginger, and garlic on the stovetop.
You pour that over some chicken breasts and pop it in the oven just until the chicken has cooked through. (You can cook the rice while the chicken bakes for maximum efficiency.)
You shred the chicken and stir in some rice and mixed stir-fry veggies and let the whole thing take a turn in the oven again, just long enough for the flavors to come together.
It has the appeal of a quick and flavorful stir fry, but with the comfort of casserole. It’s a crowd-pleaser and there’s plenty to go around, so it’s a great option when you’ve got a whole crew to feed!
Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
Serves 6; 45 minutes
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen stir fry vegetables
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup water, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, and garlic. Bring to a boil and let boil 1 minute.
- Stir cornstarch into 2 tablespoons of cold water, then whisk into soy sauce mixture. Let boil until sauce has thickened, then remove from heat.
- Arrange chicken in prepared baking dish and top with one cup of the teriyaki sauce. Bake until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Shred chicken in baking dish.
- While chicken bakes, cook stir fry vegetables according to package directions.
- Add vegetables, cooked rice, and remaining sauce to casserole dish and toss together with the shredded chicken.
- Return to oven and cook until heated through, 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic.