Check out this easy, healthy twist on a weeknight favorite!
Tacos are a staple around my house for dinner, especially when I’m all out of ideas, time, energy, etc., to do anything else. They are so simple to throw together – brown some hamburger (or turkey), toss in a seasoning packet, prep the condiments, and you’re pretty much good to go!
I’ve been trying to eat a little healthier these days, so when I discovered a zucchini taco recipe, I just had to give it a shot! Here’s my twist on the delightful recipe. I bet you’ll love this one as much as regular tacos, and you don’t even have to feel guilty about indulging!
Start by prepping the zucchini. Slice the three zucchinis in half, lengthwise, and then scoop out the seeds and insides until you have about a half-inch shell left of the zucchini. You can leave more if you want, but the half-inch thickness helps the zucchini form a slightly crisp and delicious edge!
Then, toss the onion and ground beef or turkey into the skillet and cook them right up. Add in seasonings, garlic, and green chilis, along with rice to stretch everything out and make a deliciously filling… filling.
All that’s left to do is fill up your zucchini boats, sprinkle on some cheese, and pop them in the oven! You’ll have a flavorful, healthy dinner that the whole family will love in about half an hour. It doesn’t get much better than that! Go ahead and take a look at the recipe below.
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Serves 3; 15 minutes active, 40 minutes inactive
- 3/4 cup salsa, divided
- 3 medium-sized zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chilis
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped tomatoes
- Cilantro for garnish
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prep baking dish by spreading 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom.
- Hollow out the zucchini halves using a small metal spoon, leaving about 1/2 inch thick shell on each half.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and add the onion, cooking for about 2 minutes. Add ground beef. Cook until brown.
- Add garlic, taco seasoning, green chilis, rice, and remaining 1/2 cup of salsa. Cook until heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Divide taco filling into the zucchini boats, pressing it in so it’s firmly packed. Top with shredded cheese, cover in foil, and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cilantro and chopped tomatoes on top and served with additional salsa on the side.
Recipe adapted from: Recipe Runner.