A delicious and healthy soup that’s no work at all for you.
I don’t know about you, but I absolutely adore a soup that’s all at once filling, nutritious, and delicious and happens to be one where the slow cooker does all the work for you. That’s exactly what you get here with our Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili. It’s a soup with plenty of healthy goodies in it – lean chicken, white beans, onion, sweet corn, and green chilies – and yet it has a flavor that you’ll find yourself craving as soon as your bowl is empty. And the best part? It’s the kind of recipe you just dump in the slow cooker and walk away. No extra pots, pans, or cooking devices needed.
You are literally letting your slow cooker do all the work here. Just combine the aforementioned chicken, beans, onion, corn, and green chilies with some garlic, cumin, chili powder, and oregano, cover it all with chicken broth, press a button, and walk away. When you return in a few hours, the chicken will be cooked through and tender enough to shred and return back to the pot.
It’s a brothier chili than you might be used to, but don’t let that fool you into thinking that it isn’t flavorful. It has an herb-scented, smoky, slightly spicy flavor that’s all carried in a savory broth. Definitely start with the four cups of broth, but if that’s still too thin for you in the end, you can blend a portion of the soup to thicken it up before you add the chicken back in.
I like this topped with a little sour cream, cilantro, lime, and jalapeño, but some slices of avocado wouldn’t be amiss for a little extra touch of dairy-free richness. It’s a great type of meal prep soup – it keeps well for leftovers and even freezes well too. All it needs is a quick reheat and your toppings of choice and you’re good to go!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
10m prep time
4h cook time
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 (4 oz) cans green chilies, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Jalapeños, sliced, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Combine chicken, onions, green chilies, garlic, cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, chili powder, oregano, and bay leaf in a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Stir to coat chicken and vegetables in spices, then pour chicken broth over the top, covering chicken by about an inch.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before end of cooking time, remove lid and stir in beans and corn. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Remove chicken to a plate and shred into large bite-sized pieces. Return chicken to pot and remove bay leaf.
- Serve with lime wedges, jalapeños, cilantro and sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Diethood.