We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – meals don’t need to be complicated to be delicious! You know how much we love a good slow cooker recipe, so when we were thinking about what to make for dinner the other night – it had been a long day – it was only natural that we land on a slow cooker dish. Aside from knowing we wanted to keep the prep simple, we were craving something Asian-inspired, which led us to this classic: beef and broccoli.
Seriously, there’s no reason not to cook this delicious staple in the slow cooker, as cooking it low and slow means you get tender meat that soaks up all the delicious flavors of the other ingredients you’ve thrown in. We started out with some thinly sliced flank stank and used beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic as the other main ingredients. Toss some fresh broccoli into the cooker 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve this (or add it in the beginning if you like it a little softer) and you’re good to go!
We love this dish for its versatility. You can whip up a big batch and serve it with rice, you could put it over egg noodles, or you could treat it as a soup and scoop up all those delicious juices with a big spoon and a slice of bread…. The options are endless, making this a great choice on Sunday night, ensuring you’ll have tasty lunches throughout the rest of the week. Since you clearly can’t go wrong, make this broccoli and beef this week – you won’t be disappointed!
Slow Cooker Broccoli And Beef
Serves 6; 15 minutes active; 3+ hours inactive
- 2 pounds flank steak, thinly sliced, cut into 2-inch strips
- 5 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lightly grease slow cooker with non-stick spray, then add steak strips, beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, peanut oil and red pepper flakes.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours, or until steak is cooked through but still tender. (Or cook on low for 4-5 hours.)
- After 2 hours of cooking, whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then stir slurry into beef mixture. Stir in broccoli as well, then cover slow cooker and continue cooking for 20-25 minutes, or until broccoli is fork tender.
- Spoon beef and broccoli into bowls and serve hot. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Creme de la Crumb