There are some dishes where it seems that the ingredients were just meant to be together, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And Philly cheesesteak is one of those. When you tuck some thinly sliced steak, fragrant peppers and onions, and gooey, melty Provolone into a soft roll… magic happens. That juicy, classic combination is as much a Philadelphia icon as it is a sandwich. And while some say you can never truly have a Philly cheesesteak outside of Philly, we’ve got an easy way for you to enjoy that delicious star of a sandwich right out of your own kitchen.
Since we love a sheet pan dinner, we’ve found a way to cook up all those yummy cheesesteak ingredients on one pan in the oven. It’s easy, there are barely any dishes to clean, and it’s tasty as can be. After slicing up some veggies, you season them along with the steak and lay it all out on a baking sheet before popping it in the oven. Once the steak is cooked, you slice it up and return it to the pan with some slices of provolone (which is the classic choice for a cheesesteak if you ask us) before returning it back to the oven for a few minutes. When you stir the melted cheese with the sliced steak and veggies, it mixes with the juices from the meat and onions and creates an ooey, gooey flavorful cheese sauce that we can’t get enough of.
It’s juicy and SO flavorful and it’s a quick weeknight meal that the whole family loves. Whether you like your cheesesteaks “wit” or “widdout,” you’ll love this easy recipe. You get all the flavor of the iconic sandwich with very little effort. And that sounds good to us!
Serves 4; 30 minutes
- 1 flank steak, about 1 1/2 lbs
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1-2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 hoagie rolls, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Place flank steak on a baking sheet and season both sides with salt and pepper. Pour half of the Worcestershire mixture over the steak and rub in.
- In a medium bowl, combine mushrooms, peppers, and onions. Add rest of Worcestershire mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Arrange vegetables on the baking sheet around the flank steak. Place in oven and bake 15 minutes.
- Turn broiler to high, and broil for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven, and slice steak very thinly. Return slices to the baking sheet and arrange cheese over the top.
- Reduce oven back to 350°F, place baking sheet in oven, and bake 5-7 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, stir to combine cheese with veggies and meat and place into hoagies to serve. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Enjoy!