Banoffee pie is a thing that people seem to either love or hate, and we are definitely of the former opinion. Bananas, toffee, and cream (and we like ours with chocolate)… yum. What’s not to like about that combo?
We’re also of the opinion that poke cakes are the perfect vehicle for fun flavor combinations and a banoffee version seemed like it would work perfectly. And it did. We love this cake!
A poke cake is what it sounds like: a cake with holes poked in it. You then pour pudding or jello over the top of the cake so that all of that flavor soaks down into the holes and you end up with a moist cake studded with extra flavor. So of course banoffee pie translated perfectly to poke cake! Our version has a rich and chocolate-caramel cake base that’s permeated with banana pudding and topped with whipped topping and fresh bananas and walnuts. It’ll make a banoffee lover out of anyone.
Banoffee Poke Cake
45 minutes active, 1 hour inactive
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 package instant pudding mix, butterscotch flavor
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package instant pudding mix, banana flavor
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz whipped topping
- 5 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, butterscotch pudding mix, eggs, water, and oil until well combined. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Remove from oven and poke holes using the end of a wooden spoon.
- In a medium bowl, mix together banana pudding and milk and pour over warm cake, smoothing it out and pushing it into the holes. Place in refrigerator to chill completely.
- Once chilled, spread whipped topping over the top and garnish with sliced bananas and walnuts. Enjoy!