Look no further – this is the only apple pie recipe you need. Bacon Apple Pie, (yes, you heard that right), is ridiculously good, and you just can’t beat the salty-sweet combo you get from the mixture of bacon and apples.
Keep things simple with a store bought pie crust and apple pie filling, then making a gorgeous bacon lattice on top of it all! Don’t forget to keep those bacon trimmings from the lattice – bacon crumble makes a great garnish for serving time!
Bacon Apple Pie
Serves 6-8; 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 pie crust, unbaked
- 2 cups apple pie filling
- 10-12 slices bacon, uncooked
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a pie dish with the unbaked pie crust. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the apple pie filling, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Pour into the pie crust and smooth with a spatula.
- To create bacon lattice on top of pie, lay 5 bacon strips across the pie vertically. Fold down the tops of the second and fourth strips and lay a bacon strip horizontally across the top of the pie. Unfold the two bacon strips so you’ve created a over-under pattern.
- Fold up the first, third, and fifth strips of bacon and lay another strip across horizontally. Unfold bacon. Then, fold up the second and fourth strips and lay another strip across horizontally. Repeat, until you’ve created an over-under pattern across the entire pie.
- Trim the ends that hang over the sides. Bake until bacon is crispy and completely cooked, 45-60 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream, if desire, and garnish with cooked bacon trimmings. Enjoy!