We all know French toast is one of life’s simple pleasures, and a wonderfully sweet way to start the day. But, we are quickly coming around to the idea of savory French toast as well. In many places around the world this wonderful dish is served with salt, pepper, and other more savory spices and sauces. And, it’s so easy to make that you can prepare this for breakfast or brinner no problem.
The simplicity of this recipe makes it a wonderful jumping off point for making this dish your own. The main flavors come from the bread and the salt and pepper, but you could add garlic powder, crushed chili pepper, or add in a dash of white pepper for an extra kick. you could add in some dill and serve with sour cream. The choices here are endless. You put in whichever spices you enjoy or leave it as it for a simply hearty meal.
To make this dish start by whisking together eggs and half and half, then add salt, pepper, and finely-chopped green onion. If you wanted to add in any other spices now would be the time.
Then dip your bread as you normally would for regular French toast, allowing the egg mixture to soak in a bit. For this recipe a heartier, crustier bread works better than soft sandwich bread.
Fry each piece of bread for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Keep extra toast on warm setting in oven (on oven-proof plate or dish) while you finish making the batch.
This savory treat is often served with a spicy ketchup which you can make by mixing Sriracha with ketchup. Save a bit of your green onions for garnish on top. For an optional touch grate some parmesan on top for extra flavor.
With just a few steps you can make this unique and wonderful savory French toast that’s incredibly tasty and satisfying. And, it comes together so quickly that you’ll be eating in no time which is exactly the kind of the meal we enjoy most!
Salt and Pepper French Toast
Makes 8 pieces of French toast
10m prep time
18m cook time
Vegetarian diet suitable
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green onions, very finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices crusty bread, preferably sliced thick
- In a large bowl whip together eggs and half and half. Add in salt, pepper, and green onion.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add in oil and butter and allow to melt.
- Dip bread in egg mixture and then fry in pan for 2-3 minutes on each side. Keep toasts warm in the oven on lowest setting while finishing the rest of the frying.
- Serve with spicy ketchup (simply add Sriracha sauce to plain ketchup) and/or top with some grated cheese while still hot.
Recipe adapted from Food 52.