So often we’re told to eat healthy and to add more protein to our diets. Well the same is true for our pets. Our four-legged friends are more than just friends, they’re really a part of the family. And just as we cook food for the fam, so too do we like to make homemade treats for our fur baby. These are really simple to make and aren’t full of some of the junk that so often comes in store-bought products. Humans and cats alike both love a good treat, and since cats can’t eat sweets, we like to think of these salmon treats as the type of “chocolate chip cookie” that our cat can eat. And it’s a great excuse to pull out our silicone fish mold, adding a little whimsey to a simple kitty treat.
Order Your Silicone Fish Mold Here
Just as for us humans, salmon has some key nutrients that help keep our hearts healthy; salmon is a known source of good omega-3 fatty acid, which promotes heart health. We also know that salmon is essential to keeping a cat’s coat healthy, while the nutrients in the salmon also help boost a cat’s immune system. Salmon is also an excellent source of protein, just be sure that the salmon you’re feeding to your cat is fully cooked; this will help prevent the spread of any bacteria that would be harmful to the cat’s digestive system.
Sweet potatoes are the next star of this simple kitty treat, and like the salmon is also full of great health benefits. Sweet potatoes are a good source of fiber as well as beta carotene, a source of antioxidants. But enough with the healthy stuff! While these treats can be made in any shape, we especially love using our silicone fish mold. Once we mix up the treats, we scoop the batter into these adorable fish-shaped molds, then stick the mold into the freezer for a bit. Once firm, these little fish snacks pop easily out of the mold and are ready for our favorite four-legged friend to enjoy. Always check with your veterinarian to be sure of what foods your cat can have. Our salmon and sweet potato kitty treats are the perfect little snack (and source of entertainment) for our fur baby!
Frozen Salmon and Sweet Potato Cat Treats
- 1 (14 oz.) can wild-caught salmon
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potato, baked and mashed
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- silicone fish mold
- Combine salmon and sweet potato in a large bowl and use two forks to break up larger salmon pieces while mixing it in with the sweet potato.
- In a food processor, pulse together oats and parsley until finely ground, then pour into salmon sweet potato mixture.
- Fold everything together until incorporated, then spoon mixture into silicone fish mold.
- Freeze for at least 2-3 hours, or until set, then serve to your pup as desired.