Sabra Hummus Recalled: Make Your Own With This 5 Minute Recipe!
For any hummus lovers outthere, you’ll want to read this. It was announced this morning that Sabra Dipping Co. is recalling 30,000 cases of their Classic Hummus, due to the presence of listeria in several samples, so you’ll want to check your fridges and discard any Classic Hummus packages listed with any of the following codes. In the meantime, to get your hummus fix, check out our super simple recipe – you’ll be able to dig in in five minutes!
[Listeria monocytogenes can cause, in healthy people, nausea, severe headaches, cramping and diarrhea, but for young children, the elderly or weak, it can lead to life-risking infections; it’s also been linked to miscarriages and stillbirths for pregnant women.
So far, there have been no reported cases of illness, but in case you have Sabra’s Classic Hummus in your fridge, here are the packaging codes you should look for and discard, as published in the Detroit Free Press:]
040822011143/300067 ñ Sabra Classic, 10 oz. ñ 3-059/Best before May 11;
040822011143/300067 ñ Sabra Classic 10 oz. – 3-060/Best before May 15
040822014687/300074 ñ Sabra Classic, 30 oz. ñ 3-059/Best before May 11
040822342049/301216 ñ Sabra Classic Without Garnish, 32 oz. ñ 3-059/Best before May 11
040822017497/301290 ñ Sabra Classic, 17 oz. Six Pack ñ 3-058/Best before May 11
040822017497/301290 ñ Sabra Classic, 17 oz. Six Pack ñ 3-059/Best before May 11
040822342209/301283 ñ Hummus Dual Pack Classic/Garlic ñ 3-058/Best before May 11
Simple Smooth Hummus
(make 1 1/2 cups)
- 1(15 oz) can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini (we used Krinos)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- kosher salt, totaste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of ground paprika, garnish, optional
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice. Pulsefor 30 seconds. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl then turn on and pulsefor another 30 seconds.
2. Add olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and the salt to whipped tahini and lemon juice. Pulsefor 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom of bowl then blend foranother 30 seconds.
3. Open chickpeas, drain liquid then rinse well with water. Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor then process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl, add remaining chickpeas and process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and quite smooth.4. If hummus is too thick, pulse and slowly add 2-3 tablespoons of water until the consistency is perfect.
5. To serve:Scrape the hummus into a bowl then drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
Recipe adapted from Inspired Taste.
SKM: below-content placeholder