One of our favorite breakfast treats is a good lemon poppy seed muffin. These muffins provide just the right touch of sweetness thanks to the all-natural flavors of lemon zest. We love how simple it is to throw these muffins together– and once they’re in the oven, you can’t beat the lemony aroma that wafts through the house!
If you need a yummy recipe for the next brunch get-together or lazy Sunday morning with the family, this one’s a winner. If you’d like to add a little extra sweetness, try sprinkling sugar over the muffin mixture before putting them in the oven.Read on for the recipe…
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
(Makes 10-12 servings)
Ingredients:1/2 cup sweet creamy butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
zest from 2 lemons
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350∞F. Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
3. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the buttermilk, then lemon juice, and then vanilla.Beat just until smooth.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, 3/4-full.Bake at 350∞F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.
Recipe adaped from Food.com.SKM: below-content placeholder