Change up the go-to pasta routine with this super easy one skillet pasta bake!
If you bake it, they will come, or so it goes in our house when this super simple (but simply amazing) pasta bake is put on the table. We love this for its ease but also for all the cheese – talk about ooey-gooey deliciousness! This is a hearty meal that comes together with just a few ingredients, so dinner is on the table in virtually no time at all.
One particular highlight of this dish is its ease of clean up. We know how busy the weeknights are, and the fewer dishes there are in the sink, the sooner we get to wind down from the day’s labors. That’s why pantry staples are key to throwing this dinner together. While we enjoy the charred smokiness from the tomatoes set against the creamy cheese, use whatever canned (preferably diced) tomatoes you have on hand in the pantry. No need for any special trips to the grocery store here! This truly is a great go-to meal right out of the pantry.
Besides the ease of cooking and cleanup of this dish, we have only one word of caution: this comes piping hot out of the oven, so be sure to exercise a little restraint before taking a bite…we know how irresistible melted cheese is, but a burnt tongue will get in the way of enjoying a really great meal! When you’re looking for an easy meal to prepare, clean, and satisfy, look no further than this one skillet spaghetti sensation…Enjoy!
One Skillet Pasta Bake
- 12-18 ounces thin spaghetti noodles, broken in half
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted diced red tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups shredded cheese (recommend Italian blend)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- *Optional: fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté onion until softened, 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, water, and 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and stir to combine. Break spaghetti noodles and place into skillet, pressing them into the sauce to cover.
- Bring to a low boil for 9-11 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set broiler to low. Once noodles are cooked, sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese then place skillet under broiler. Bake until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Remove from oven and serve. If desired, sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from Grace and Good Eats