Looking for an easy, tasty, weeknight dinner? We’ve got just the thing!
I’m always looking for easy meals that pack a flavorful punch. And if they happen to be a “dump everything into a casserole dish and bake” meal, then all the better! Not only is this dish simple to prepare with hardly any prep time involved, but it’s on the healthier side. You can make it even healthier by replacing the sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. Let’s take a look and see how easy this meal is to prepare!
For starters, cover the bottom of casserole dish with salsa and place your chicken on top. Sprinkle a packet of taco seasoning and pour more salsa over everything. Pop the chicken in the oven and come back 30 minutes later to a delicious taco chicken dinner! Top with sour cream, cheese, and green onions, along with any of your favorite taco add-ins. I like avocado on my tacos!
This is such an easy weeknight meal to prepare. You can serve the chicken with Spanish rice for a more filling dinner, or a side salad for a lighter meal. You can also shred the chicken once it’s out of the oven and use it as a traditional taco filling with all of the toppings you want.
I love meals that are versatile like this! I especially love that the ingredient list is small and doesn’t use any obscure ingredients that I’ll end up storing in my cupboard for a year in hopes that I’ll find another recipe to use it in. Or maybe that’s just me. Go ahead and see how easy this meal is to throw together in the recipe below!
One Pan Taco Chicken Bake
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375° and coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with 1/2 cup of salsa and place the chicken on top.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken and pour remaining salsa on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top each chicken breast with a dollop of sour cream and some green onions.
Recipe adapted from Dinner at the Zoo.