Chicken is one of the easiest main dishes to make since so many people enjoy it. It’s a crowd pleasing protein, but it’s even better when you can make a delicious meal all in one pan. This one-pan roast chicken with tomatoes has just about everything you could ask for in a main dish: chicken, fingerling potatoes, and juicy cherry tomatoes all seasoned to perfection.
When baked together on a sheet pan the best one-pan meal comes together in about an hour. Serve with a side or not- this one is so hearty that it makes a fine meal all on its own.
The secret to this dish being so delectable is the blend of spices that goes into this recipe. Thyme, oregano, chili flakes, and garlic combine with soy sauce and lemon wedges to flavor the chicken so well, with the just right amount of herbs.
This recipe calls for chicken thighs, which are the most tender and flavorful cuts of chicken. Cooked this way, covered in spices and olive oil, they come out of the oven full of savory flavor and are not prone to drying out during the long cooking time.
We used tricolor fingerling potatoes and they look so pretty with the tomatoes, lemon wedges, and the herbs. However, you can use any type of new potatoes or fingerling potatoes you would like and the results will be equally delicious.
This sheet pan dinner is ideal for a busy weeknight meal when you don’t have much time, especially if you have a large crowd to feed at home. And, the wonderful thing about this dish is that it tastes like a much more complicated meal than it actually is. We’d call that a win for everyone.
One-Pan Roast Chicken with Tomatoes
15m prep time
55m cook time
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested with remnants cut into wedges
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 lbs baby, new, or fingerling potatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. In a large bowl combine thyme, soy sauce, oregano, chilli, oil, garlic and lemon zest. Add chicken and turn to coat. Pour olive oil onto roasting or deep baking pan. Place chicken in pan.
- Add potatoes to seasoning mixture and toss to coat. Pour contents of bowl into pan. Add lemon wedges and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and add in the cherry tomatoes. Return pan to oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until tomatoes become blistered.
Recipe adapted from Delicious.