A simple everyday cake full of fresh fruit flavor.
A lot of what I know about baking, I learned from my step-mom, who is French and makes cakes accordingly. Now, when you think of French desserts you might think of pristine pastries and flaky tarts but I think of the type of cake that many French people make at home — simple, round, rustic, unadorned, and usually a preparation that only involves a single bowl. That’s precisely what type of cake this One-Bowl Strawberry Cake is. It’s the easy type of cake you could make any day for afternoon goûter (that’s snack) and it’s a celebration of one of summer’s best things: fresh strawberries.
First, you’re going to beat together and sugar. Simple. Pretty standard.
Then, (since this is a take on French yogurt cake) you’ll add yogurt, oil, and vanilla before you mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt. That can all happen in one bowl, just do it in the right order and don’t over-mix.
Your batter is done, so then it’s time for the strawberries. Cut half of them in half and dice up the rest.
The diced ones get folded right into the batter…
… and the sliced ones nestle into the top.
That way the batter rises up around the larger berry halves but you still have small pops of fresh strawberry running throughout. If you want to serve this casually out of the cake pan, a regular 9-inch cake pan works fine but if you’d like to plate it, a springform is a little easier. (Either way, it’s just as delicious.)
The crumb is moist with a creamy vanilla flavor and the slightest caramelized crunch at the edges and so much fresh strawberry flavor. It doesn’t need a glaze or frosting or powdered sugar — it’s lovely just the way it is!
One-Bowl Strawberry Cake
Yield 1 9-inch cake
15m prep time
45m cook time
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vanilla or plain yogurt (full fat)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz strawberries
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9-inch cake pan or springform pan with butter or nonstick spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- First, prepare the strawberries. Hull them, and then dice half of them and slice the rest in halves. Set aside separately.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high until light and fluffy.
- Add yogurt, oil, and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt on low until just combined, but don't over mix.
- Gently stir in diced strawberries and transfer to prepared pan. Top batter with halved strawberries, placing them cut side down and pressing down into batter just slightly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
- Let cake rest 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Let cool on a wire rack until warm or room temperature, then dust with powdered sugar when ready to serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Natasha's Kitchen.