We’ve combined two of our favorite comfort foods into one addictive dish!
Sometimes it isn’t super fun to eat plain ol’ leftovers, but one leftover that is good again and again is mashed potatoes. And instead of simply reheating, add some elbow macaroni and a ton of cheese, bake in the oven and serve up a decadent combination of deliciousness: mashed potato mac ‘n’ cheese. One part of this is store-bought, the other part is made from leftovers and everything comes together in a dish of indulgence. And if the creamy cheesiness isn’t enough to satisfy you, then the browned cheese topping should be the “icing on the cake,” as they say.
We love the addition of crisped chopped bacon; the salty bite adds savoriness and texture, and really when does adding bacon ever NOT work! This is a real “stick to your ribs” casserole, and one that may require taking a little walk after, but the indulgence is totally worth it. A dish like this comes round only once or twice a year, so dig in and enjoy all of the gooey cheesy potato-y goodness!
Mashed Potato Mac and Cheese
Serves 8-10 40 minutes
- 2-3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 oz elbow or shell noodles
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- ¼ cup chopped chives or green onion, garnish
- *Milk or half-and-half, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Cook noodles until just al dente, then drain and stir in 1 tablespoon of butter to prevent noodles from sticking together.
- Cook bacon, drain on a paper towel and chop into smaller pieces.
- Reheat mashed potatoes in a microwave safe dish. Transfer to a large bowl for mixing. Note: If potatoes are dry, add a little milk or half and half for a smoother texture.
- Fold in parmesan cheese, bacon, and 1 cup cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in noodles until just incorporated then pour mixture into a greased 9 x 9 baking dish and top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheesy topping is bubbling and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped chives or green onions sprinkled over the top.
Recipe adapted from CD Kitchen