Lemon and blueberries are two of our favorite baking partners. We’ve joined their tasteful forces together into one amazing loaf cake, one that bursts with blueberries and bright lemon flavor. Our blueberry loaf is super easy to make and one that will undoubtedly disappear faster than you can say “lemon blueberry loaf cake!” A cup of coffee, a slice (or two) of this sweet and delicious blueberry loaf, and a newspaper or a good book are all we need to start off the perfect lazy weekend morning.
There’s just something so refreshing about the combination of sweet blueberry with crisp lemony citrus flavor. When blueberries are in season we will absolutely grab a carton and use them in the recipe. But when fresh isn’t an option, then our go-to is a package of frozen blueberries. These are gently folded into our batter that’s been spiked with lemon zest. One magic ingredient here, that can be easily replaced with plain milk, is buttermilk. Buttermilk keeps the cake nice and moist, two very essential characteristics for a loaf cake. Once the batter is ready, we pour it into a loaf pan and wait for the oven to do the rest of the work.
An hour or so later, we’re gifted with a beautiful blueberry polka-dotted, lemon-flecked loaf cake. Once cooled, we can cut into slices and see all of those juicy blueberries and slivers of lemon zest scattered throughout the loaf. Storage is super easy, just wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and it should keep for a few days, but we highly doubt it will last that long…because everyone will want to eat it! This is the perfect little baking project for aspiring little chefs or rookie bakers. Everyone loves a little slice of something homemade and a lemon blueberry loaf cake is just that little slice we’re looking for.
Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake
Serves 8-10; 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 ½ cup fresh (or frozen and thawed) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, and lemon zest and beat until creamy. Add vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk, and mix until well combined.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture, ⅓ at a time, stirring each time until all of flour mixture is added and batter is smooth. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden skewer comes out clean from the center.
- Cool completely before slicing to serve.
Recipe adapted from Yay! For Food.