Chocolate mint is one of my favorite combinations, a close second to chocolate and peanut butter. Though, after having these Junior Mint Cupcakes, mint might replace peanut butter! Seriously, these things are absolutely delicious and taste just like the candy – only in fluffy cupcake and creamy frosting form.
Also just like the candy, these Junior Mint Cupcakes have a gooey center filled with minty goodness! Powdered sugar, heavy cream, and mint extract make up the filling. This is one decadent treat, but it’s good to indulge every once in a while!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it all starts with a box cake mix. Sure, I like making desserts from scratch, but sometimes I just want a quick and easy recipe to satisfy my sweet tooth. If that sounds like you, this is definitely the cupcake for you!
You’ll start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners. Set aside. Combine eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and mint extract in a large bowl. Add devils food cake mix and stir until completely mixed.
Scoop the cake batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 of the way full, and bake for 15 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
For the filling, combine the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and peppermint extract in a small bowl. Once cupcakes are cooled, cut out the center. Set aside the piece of cupcake, fill the center hole with filling, and place the piece of cupcake back inside to close up the hole.
All that’s left is to whip up the frosting and top with a Junior Mint! Go ahead and check out the recipe below to satisfy your chocolate mint craving.
Junior Mint Cupcakes
Makes 2 dozen cupcakes
15m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 devils food cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mint extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- A few drops of green food coloring
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- Junior Mints for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and mint extract in a large bowl. Add devils food cake mix and stir until completely mixed.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the cake batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven to cool, cool for 5 minutes in the cupcake tray, then remove to continue cooling on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and peppermint extract. Stir until completely combined.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, cut out the center - cut a small circle approximately 1/2 an inch in diameter and 1 inch deep.
- Set aside the piece of cupcake, fill the center hole with filling, and place the piece of cupcake back inside to close up the hole.
- In large mixing bowl, add butter and mix until creamy. Add heavy cream and powdered sugar and mix on low speed until fully combined and frosting is peaking. Add in the mint extract and green food coloring, stir to combine.
- Add frosting to piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Top with a Junior Mint candy.
Recipe adapted from House of Yumm