I am sure there are some people who sit down to eat a leisurely breakfast on a daily basis, but for me, the morning meal is either something I eat on my way to the car or something that doesn’t happen at all. But that’s just why I love these Hashbrown Egg Cups! They are the perfect make ahead breakfast option and are truly grab-and-go… Basically, they make the morning meal super easy. And tasty, which is the most important part, after all.
While these might just look like a crustless quiche in a muffin tin, they’re so much more. They’re not really a quiche at all – rather, they’re a combination of some breakfast favorites for a more bite-sized version of a complete meal. They start with hashbrowns and eggs, and while we use ham and cheddar, you can switch that up for whatever you might have on hand (or add in some bell peppers or green onion or mushrooms or bacon).
These use frozen store bought hashbrowns and make twelve in one go, so they really are the ideal, easy breakfast prep. You just want to bake the hashbrown portion first in the muffin tins before you add the egg mixture to make sure they are sturdy and easy to use as a handheld meal.
The eggs, ham, and cheese go on top and then everything bakes for a little longer until they’ve set. They’re a really versatile breakfast option – you can literally use whatever meat, veggies, and cheese you might have in your fridge so don’t be afraid to experiment!
Hashbrown Egg Cups
5m prep time
35m cook time
- 1 (20 oz) package frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons half and half or milk
- 1/2 cup ham, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, minced, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F and grease a muffin tin with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, half of the cheese, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Press mixture into bottom of muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove and reduce heat to 350°F.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, remaining cheese, milk, and ham. Season with salt and pepper and pour over hash browns.
- Bake until set, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Life Made Simple Bakes.