Who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate!
It’s always extra fun when you can put a wholesome twist on a well-deserved treat that is completely gluten-free without compromising on taste – something with the deep flavors of chocolate combined with the nutty, salty, satisfying taste of peanut butter. In this instance, gluten-free oats add texture, balance out the sweetness, and make our stomach a very happy camper. You can easily find them in your local grocery store right next to the regular old-fashioned oats and the gluten-free kind doesn’t look or taste any different.
Okay, so why gluten-free then? It’s a common question for a pretty trendy term that sometimes leaves some people curious or scratching their heads. For that reason, we thought we might take a quick second to talk about what gluten really is and why some, but not most people need to eliminate gluten from their diet after a diagnosis from their doctor.
Gluten is a form of protein found in certain grains like wheat, rye, barley. Gluten binds some foods together and gives them shape, almost like an edible and invisible glue of sorts. Most people who have Celiac’s Disease avoid gluten at all costs because it damages their small intestine. Needless to say, eating a gluten-free diet is a necessity for some and we think it’s always nice to have a tempting recipe like this one in your arsenal so you can have something quick and easy on hand that anyone can enjoy.
For these tasty cookies, we opted to use creamy peanut butter, but you can always swap in the crunchy kind if that’s your thing. Another option is to make these bad boys and freeze them in freezer-safe, reusable plastic bags. Pull them out to defrost for a quick snack – they’ll still be moist and irresistable for you or any impromptu guests. Keep in mind, these are so darn good that anyone is going to gobble them up and ask for more so you might want to save yourself the trouble now and double the recipe!
Do you feel that recipes like this with a healthy twist can be useful for your life and loved ones? We would love to hear from you if we should keep them coming!
GF Peanut Butter Oat Cookies
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup rolled or old-fashioned oats
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together rolled oats, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat peanut butter and brown sugar together until creamy. 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla extract, waiting for the first egg to be incorporated before adding the second.
- Mix in dry ingredients so they’re fully combined, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, drop 1-2 tablespoons of cookie dough onto lined baking sheets. Optional: use your hand to very lightly flatten the tops of cookies.
- Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 9-10 minutes, or until edges are just golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen