If you’re a fan of warm, comforting dishes that fill you up and warm you from the inside, this veggie pot pie casserole is just for you. While you could put any of your favorite vegetables into this casserole of sorts, we were having a serious carrot craving and made that the highlight. Using puff pastry makes the whole process a total breeze, so then all you have to do is make a nice, thick sauce for your veggies and you’re good to go! Trust us, there’s no better way to finish your day than with this delicious pot pie, everyone will love it!
Veggie Pot Pie
30min to prepare Serves 4
- 1 sheet frozen, store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Bring a large pot of cold, salted water to boil and cook potatoes for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside..
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute carrots and onion until tender. 8-10 minutes.
- During the last 1-2 minutes of cooking, add drained potatoes and garlic and cook until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper, thyme and oregano.
- Transfer vegetables to a separate bowl.
- Melt butter in the Dutch oven and stir in flour to create a roux. Whisk continuously to remove lumps and cook for 2 minutes to cook flour.
- Once smooth, whisk in vegetable broth and heavy cream and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper and ground mustard seed.
- Return vegetables to Dutch oven and stir to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Take thawed puff pastry sheet, unfold it and gently press it into a large baking dish, making sure it comes up at least a little on all sides.
- Pour vegetables into puff pastry crust, place baking dish in oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until set and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from A Beautiful Mess