Chocolate is, without question, my favorite, most favorite, dessert. From cookies to brownies, cakes and pies, ice cream and more, chocolate is a very real weakness, an irresistible indulgence that we will always say YES to. I love baking as much as the next person, and I also love to find ways to combine scratch methods with simple shortcuts, especially if this means a chocolate craving can be satisfied quickly and easily. With a little fuss but not too much muss, making a chocolate mousse pie can be done in just over an hour, much to the delight of the family. This is a recipe that is great for a surprise weeknight dessert as much as it’s perfect for a dinner party. Check out how simple this is!
Scratch crusts are actually fairly easy, especially if you’re just using butter and cookie crumbles. But I’ve decided to make this one step easier picking up a ready-made pie crust from the store (and from time to time, I try to keep a box in my freezer). With the crust pretty much taken care of, attention may be turned to the star of the show: a chocolate mousse filling. I could have used a refrigerated or frozen whipped topping, but whipping up whipped cream is so easy, and adds a little extra freshness (if one can describe a chocolate cake as ‘fresh’). And the real secret ingredient: mini marshmallows. Sure I could have added sugar, but the extra marshmallow gooey sweetness works so well here. Now all that’s left to do is “chill out” – a little refrigeration time helps set the pie and we top it off with some extra chocolate shavings – because when is chocolate on chocolate ever a problem! Chocolate craving satisfied!
Easy Chocolate Mousse Pie
1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped and divided (10 oz for filling, 2 oz for garnish)
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- ⅓ cup water
- Bake pie crust according to package instructions. Cool before adding chocolate filling.
- In a saucepan, bring ⅓ cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add chopped chocolate, butter, and marshmallows. Stir until smooth then transfer to bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat heavy cream until peaks form. Fold in chocolate mixture and stir until incorporated. Pour batter into pie crust.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour. To serve, grate or finely chop reserved 2 oz of chocolate over top of pie.
Recipe adapted from Woman's Day