I love having these kinds of recipes on hand – hearty, satisfying, and super simple to make. This is the perfect meal for those busy weeknights, or really, for any night of the week. This Easy, Cheesy Meatball Bake is just that – easy and hassle-free to prepare, full of delicious cheesy goodness, and can be tossed in the oven while you sit back and relax after a long day! What’s not to love about that?
You might think getting frozen meatballs is the way to go when you’re strapped for time, but trust me when I say these homemade meatballs are the way to go. They really aren’t difficult to make, and the flavor is easily a hundred times better than any frozen stuff you can find in stores!Let’s take a look at how this recipe comes together, then get the full ingredient list and directions below!
First things first, prep the meatballs. These babies have two different kinds of cheeses to make them extra gooey and mouthwatering. Sprinkle in some onion and garlic powder, followed by Italian seasoning and a pinch of cayenne pepper for a bit of a bite, and you’ll be well on your way to completing this dinner in no time.
Don’t be afraid to dig right in and mix everything up with your hands. You can use a masher or a spoon if you prefer, but hand-mixing is how I grew up doing it, so I carry on that tradition. The kiddos really love helping with this part, just make sure their hands are clean before setting them loose! Once everything is assembled, just top with marinara sauce and pop the dish right into the oven.
Once the meatballs are baked all the way through, top with more cheese and bake for a few more minutes until the cheese is melted. Top with basil or other seasonings, and you’re all done! These are perfect to top your spaghetti or to have as a main dish with a few sides. They also make great appetizers at parties!
Easy, Cheesy Meatball Bake
10 minutes active; 25 minutes inactive to prepare serves 6
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded (plus 1 cup for topping)
- 1/2 cup parmesan, shredded
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Fresh basil for topping
- Preheat oven to 400° and coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients until well mixed.
- Roll the ground beef mixture into 18 meatballs and place them in the greased casserole dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Drain the grease from the dish and pour marinara on top, along with a cup of mozzarella. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with basil and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Eat Well.