Recreate a childhood favorite with these homemade fruit roll-ups, which are packed with the natural flavors of berries, and little else. Mix and match your favorite berries or customize batches based on your favorite flavors, or what's in season. They are also a great use for over-ripe fruit! The best part is how easy they are to prepare, making them the perfect cooking project to share with your children. It's also great to know exactly what ingredients are in our snacks. We like to use a good dose of honey to sweeten ours, but sugar or maple syrup both work great as well – and feel free to use as much or as little as you like! Either way, once you try these homemade roll-ups, you'll never want to go back to store-bought variety again.
Berry Fruit Roll-Ups
5 minutes active; 6 hours inactive to prepare serves 16
- 3 cups mixed berries, ripe to over-ripe
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or sugar, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 165º F, and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Purée fruit, honey and lemon juice in a food processor or blender, then pour onto lined pan and spread to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Bake for 6-7 hours, or until fruit is thoroughly dried and no longer tacky. Remove pan from oven and let cool. Peel fruit sheet off parchment paper and cut into strips, then roll up and store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites