Sweet corn paired with cool cream and bright cilantro is summer’s most stylish side dish.
We go to a lot of backyard barbecues and picnics over the summer months, and we really like to load our plates with flavorful side dishes. This recipe for Mexican corn salad uses corn that’s roasted in the oven to add a nutty, earthy flavor, but grilled corn works great, too. This dish calls for queso fresco, a soft and mild cheese, but we substitute cotija or feta when we want a more briny flavor.The addition of cilantro and lime juice keep this mayonnaise-based salad bright, and the jalapeno adds a spicy kick, but sometimes we leave out the jalapeno for a more kid-friendly version.
We roast the corn whole on the cob, but it’s also easy to carve the corn off the cob and put it on a baking sheet. We find that cutting the corn kernels off the cob over a large bowl or pan makes the job easier. We put the bottom of the cob in the dish and slice downwards. Then we just dump the kernels out where we need them. Make up a big batch of our creamy roasted corn salad for your next family party, neighborhood barbecue or Taco Tuesday. This cool and creamy salad is what summer is all about!
Creamy Cilantro Corn Salad
Serves 6; 30 minutes
- 5 medium ears corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 fluid ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to broiler setting. Coat corn in olive oil and place on a cookie sheet. Broil for 5 minutes or until kernels are tender and lightly charred. Cool before handling.
- Combine mayonnaise, garlic, salt and chili powder in a medium bowl. Add scallions and jalapeno.
- Slice corn kernels off of cobs. Transfer to salad bowl. Add cilantro, queso fresco and lime juice. Toss to combine. Garnish with wedges of lime.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Konfidence