One slice of this sweet, creamy, crumbly cake will have you reaching for a second!
I was expecting a few friends over one morning for a little coffee and conversation. I wanted to serve a coffee cake, but also something light and creamy, and that’s when I stumbled upon this perfect crumble cake that would do just the trick. It’s impossible to go wrong with a trifecta of sweetened cream cheese, crumbly topping, and moist, chewy cake. It’s easy to make the cake from scratch, but we chose to take a little shortcut and use a pre-made cake mix.
Everyone loved the refreshing combination of sweet cream cheese infused with citrusy lemon. Other than this informal gathering between friends, I also like to make this cake for a special occasion or holiday (or Mondays to combat those beginning of the week blues). Really, no special occasion is needed to whip up a delicious treat. After sharing with family and friends, any leftover slices taste even better as a late night snack!
Cream Cheese Lemon Crumb Cake
Serves 2 cakes; 60 minutes
- 1 (15 oz) box lemon cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- For the filling/frosting:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the crumble:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix with water, eggs, lemon zest, and oil. Pour batter into cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes completely.
- To make cream cheese filling: Beat together cream cheese, 1/2 cup heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice until creamy.
- In medium bowl, make crumble topping by mixing together flour, sugar, vanilla, and cold butter. Use a fork to cut mixture into crumbles.
- Once cake cools, remove from pan and slice it in half horizontally. Pour enough cream cheese filling mixture to cover cut side of cake. Replace cake top. Spread a layer of cream cheese frosting over top of cake. Sprinkle top with prepared crumble. Chill at least 30 minutes before serving. Repeat for 2nd cake.
Recipe adapted from Tornadough Alli