Four ingredients, fifteen minutes, and some of the most glorious snacking you’ve ever done.
All other parties in my household are completely obsessed with storebought chocolate-covered frozen banana bites. Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re great too, but for what you’re getting and the amount you’re getting, they can be pretty pricey and in my house, they disappear pretty much instantly. So I thought, why not just make your own? They are — after all — just bananas and chocolate, but this recipe does them one better. These No-Bake Chunky Monkey Banana Bites are bananas and chocolate and peanut butter. It’s a recipe so simple that it barely deserves to be called a recipe, but even so, it’s a snack that feels extra special. And it will only take you four ingredients and about fifteen minutes to make.
You can always slice up an apple or pull out a bag of chips and some salsa when you’re feeling snacky, but these make for a whole ‘nother level of snacking. And best of all, once you’ve made them, they’re just there in your fridge or freezer to pull out and enjoy. You’ll need two ripe bananas — you don’t want them at banana bread level, you want to still be somewhat firm — that you’ll slice up into slices that are about a third of an inch. Then you’ll spread some peanut butter onto half of the banana slices and top them with the plain ones to make a little banana sandwich and then pop it all in the freezer for a half an hour or so. The chilling time helps keep everything together in one cohesive bite-sized piece and makes for easier dipping.
The dipping chocolate is incredibly simple and you only need your microwave to make it. You need a single bag of chocolate chips — semisweet or dark or milk chocolate all work fine! — that you’ll microwave with a touch of coconut oil until it’s melted and smooth. The coconut oil helps to give it that “magic shell” effect and helps the chocolate harden back up once you’ve dipped in the cold frozen banana. It helps to use a fork or even two to dip the bananas without a big mess and then you can just line them up on a baking sheet and chill them until they’ve set up. You can keep them in the fridge or the freezer depending on the kind of texture you like, but either way, they’re sure a delicious little snack to have on hand.
No-Bake Chunky Monkey Banana Bites
15m prep time
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 (12 oz) package chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Slice bananas into 1/3-inch thick slices and arrange on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add a dollop of peanut butter to half of the banana slices, then sandwich with a plain banana slice.
- Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Towards the end of that time, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute, stir, and then microwave in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring in between.
- Once bananas are chilled, use two forks to dip banana bites in melted chocolate.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet once more, sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt, then chill until hardened.
- Keep in refrigerator or freezer. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Living Well Mom.